Edward Hudson, a State Dentist, built ‘The Hermitage’ in 1786. Over a century later, Patrick Pearse discovered the house while on a historical pilgrimage of sites associated with Robert Emmet. Set in nearly fifty acres of beautiful parkland, Pearse moved his innovative school into it in 1910. His family gave it later to the Irish state, who turned it into a museum, telling the story of Patrick Pearse. The Office of Public Works operates and manages Pearse Museum and St Enda’s Park.
Have a look at our video. giving an impression of the museum. Below the video is some information on the life of Patrick Pearse.
Patrick Pearse was born at 27 Great Brunswick Street in Dublin, the street that is named after him today. His father, James Pearse, established a stonemasonry business here in the 1850’s. The business provided the Pearses with a comfortable middle-class life.
In 1900, Pearse received a B.A. in Modern Languages (Irish, English and French). He immediately enrolled in the King’s Inns and was called to the bar in 1901.
Before then, in 1896, only 16 years old, he had joined the Gaelic League. Subsequently, in 1903 Pearse became editor of its newspaper. He wanted to help save the Irish language. To do this, he wanted to establish a sympathetic education system. Therefore, to set an example, Pearse started his own bilingual school, Saint Enda (Scoil Éanna). Teaching was in both English and Irish. In 1908 it opened in Cullenswood House in Ranalagh. Two years later Saint Enda’s School moved to The Hermitage, now home to the Pearse Museum.
Patrick Pearse involved himself in Irish politics. He joined the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Republican Brotherhood. He gave a graveside oration on 1 August 1915 at the funeral of the Fenian Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa. This oration made Patrick Pearse famous.
Pearse, on behalf of the IRB, gave the signal for the uprising in 1916.
As a result, Pearse and fourteen other leaders, including his brother Willie, were court-martialled. A firing squad executed Patrick Pearse on the morning of 3 May 1916.
During his short live, Patrick Pearse was also a prolific writer.
Click on the photo for a bigger picture or scroll down for the text.
We visited the magical miniature world of Tara’s Palace Childhood Museum at Powerscourt House, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. The Museum is home to Ireland’s Largest Period Doll House, Tara’s Palace. Each of the 24 rooms in Tara’s Palace is 1:12 in scale. They are furnished with miniature masterpieces, hand painted ceilings and hand crafted wooden and marble floors. We brought a 3 year old boy and 8 year old girl who both adored it.
With Tara’s Palace as the centrepiece, the Museum also contains hundreds of fascinating exhibits, including the amazing 17th century house in a bottle, the smallest doll in the world, and a 300 year old doll’s house. There is a Museum Quiz, which is popular with all visitors and an interactive room for our younger visitors. Tara’s Palace at Powerscourt runs events, family activities, school and group tours and children’s birthday parties throughout the year.
The Tara’s Palace Trust runs the museum to support Irish children’s charities and to entertain and delight generations of children and adults alike. Each year the Trust donates any profits made by the museum to deserving Irish children’s charities
For the official site, follow this link: http://childhoodmuseum.org/
We hope you enjoyed this. Why not have a look at the rest of our website?